We very much see ourselves as custodians of the Boreland estate. Our wish is to help create an environment that continues to thrive long after we’re gone.
Our 117 acres is filled with ancient woodland, wide open spaces, wild habitats, agricultural land, the edge of one of Scotland’s most spectacular lochs, and a huge amount of cultural heritage.
We’ve committed to achieving a Green Tourism award in 2023. It’s hugely important to us to be a sustainably minded business. We understand the impact our operation has and take environmental considerations seriously.
If you’re staying with us in 2023, expect to see some friendly advice about recycling, less single-use plastics and more practical actions taking place across our whole site.
Championing Energy Efficiency
It’s fair to say that this will continue to be an ongoing staple for us. In 2022/23, we installed:
- an air source heat pump in Ben Cruachan
- outdoor TMVs (thermostatic mixer valves) across all properties
- timers on all outside lighting
- a new energy efficient boiler in Farmhouse
- low energy lighting in all properties
- heating controls in each property, all set to reflect the outside temperature, and arrival time of our guests
Our plans for the future include more air source heat pumps & solar panels.
On your walk around Boreland, you’ll see polytunnels that we use for growing fruit and veg. And soon (circa 2024), we’re hoping to introduce honey bees to the estate. Imagine waking up to fresh honey every morning. Yum.
Fun fact: One of our lovely team is already a fully qualified beekeeper!
Choosing the Right Suppliers
Working with people and businesses who hold the same values as us is really important. It’s not just about saying we’re sustainable, it’s about putting our words into action and making a difference. Here’s what we’ve pledged so far:
- Created our first business plan, a document that seeks to challenge how we do things currently, while encouraging sustainable growth that is suitable for our land and ambitions.
- Drafted our first environmental policy and appointed a sustainability champion from within the team.
- Committed to only working with businesses that hold the same values as us, who understand CSR, and who are attempting to create positive change like us.